Fall Back Into Healthy Habits
Posted by on
Did you remember that we change the clocks back this weekend? Well...unless you live in a state that doesn't participate in Daylight Savings. (Wave to our friends in Arizona and Hawaii!)
It feels natural to want to hibernate at this time of year when there is less daylight every day and the temperatures turn cool. What if we used this clock change as a touch point to dial back bad habits while we are making changes all around the house? What if we just focused on one habit--sleep.
How many of us say we are going to work harder to get more sleep? That we're going to stop taking our phone to bed or climb in a half hour earlier? Let's use this clock change as a chance to actually do it!
The Sleep Foundation found that nearly half of American's don't get enough rest or good quality sleep. This can lead to weight gain, driving tired, even falling asleep at work. The CDC even says insufficient sleep is a Public Health Problem. Yikes!
So what should we be doing? According to the CDC, we should:
- Go to bed at the same time each night and rise at the same time each morning.
- Avoid large meals before bedtime.
- Avoid caffeine and alcohol close to bedtime.
- Avoid nicotine.
The New York Times suggests that we additionally:
- Avoid screens before bed. Seriously--set an alarm to kick you off your phone a half hour before bed, or find an app like Moment that will kick you off.
- Use our bedrooms for sleep and romance ONLY. Move workout equipment to another space, avoid eating or talking on the phone in bed, etc.
- Keep your sleep space cool. A warm bedroom can actually interfere with sleep!
- Catch some sunshine in the morning. Spend 15 minutes soaking up rays to jump start your internal clock each morning
And here at Levana Bratique, we suggest making sure your body is comfortable before hitting the sack. This means taking off your day-bra. Who could sleep with an underwire poking them in the ribs? If you need some support while you sleep, we suggest a sleep bra.
We've got a few choices:
Our Majamas Organic Easy Bra is a cotton/Spandex blend that can be pulled aside for nursing access or just worn day or night by anyone looking for a comfortable bra.
One of our favorite bras for sleeping is the Bella Materna Anytime Bralet. The thick bottom band makes for a more supportive sleep bra that's still comfortable. This bra has removable pads to offer additional support for daytime wear. Just remove them and it offers just enough support to let you rest easy.
And talk about making the bedroom a spot for romance? Our Eco-Lace Goddess Bralette is sexy and comfortable, to help you slide right into the Land of Nod.
So what do you say? Will you join us Saturday night as we set our clocks back an hour and our sleep habits back toward healthy?